Week 6 Blog

 The topic of discussion this week is online communities and relationships. 

I am going to share my framework for how I engage and interact in online communities using lectures as an example, specifically the Virtual Environment lecture. When interacting online, it is all about the elements of digital citizen ship and I incorporate a number of them in my framework.

Due to COVID-19 all of my classes are online so unfortunately, Virtual Environments is nothing majorly new to me except the fact that I have an avatar that I have to control. But besides that, my framework for participating in the classes are pretty much the same. 

When I have a class, I set up the app and get prepared to log on about 10 minutes before the class to make sure I have time for any issues. I most specifically do this with Second Life because I always seem to come across some sort of issue when logging in and sometimes have to re-download the app. It can be very unpredictable as to when it won't let me log in. My digital fluency with the online lecture platforms and especially with Second Life are not up to scratch yet. 

When the lecturer has joined I always say hello, it is polite. I mute my mic for pretty much all lectures so I don't disturb the lecture by an accidental disruption of a family member or my dog barking at the neighbours. This is my digital etiquette, it is a procedure I do in thought of the lecturer who has to present a class for an hour and wishes for no disruption and for the other students who are trying to learn.

I try and participate in any way I can during class, I'm not shy to turn on my mic and join the conversation if I have silence in my house. If I am not joining with my mic, I am very active in the chat box. I feel it is good to engage in the class, I believe I learn more. In most of my lectures, I sometimes wish more people would engage because I hate when there is silence after a lecturer asks us something. If I don't know the answer myself, I will guess or simply say "I don't know". I try to remain active during class and take part because creating digital community and collaboration in the class improves the outcome of the lecture altogether.

To boost my engagement, I do the work we had been given to do before class when I can. Some weeks I may be up to my eyes with other work and forget to do them but when this happens, I give my full attention to pick it up in the class and then I will read it after. I hate the feeling of not doing a reading or a piece of work so I try to make up for it by trying to participate in any way I can.

Then when the lecture is finished, I always thank the lecturer.



References

https://www.digitalcitizenship.net/nine-elements.html 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13 Blog

Week 11 Blog

week 1 blog