Week 12 Blog

 The topic of Antropocene and climate change is a major issue for our planet today. Anthropocene is an official era on the timeline of earth that is human led and all we have done is caused global warming, habitat loss, changed the chemical composition of the atmosphere, oceans and soils, and animal extinction (World Economic Forum).Climate change is a topic I am very interested in and like to do what I can to take action. 

In the major project with my group, I am doing the sustainability section where I discuss how the future workplace we chose is sustainable. My group and I wanted to pick a future workplace we knew would be sustainable because that is how we imagined the future will be like. Today, our planet is suffering greatly from humanity's stubbornness to take real action, but the population of activists is growing and they are educating the people and leaders on how serious the matter is. I imagine it won't be long before we see world leaders set strategies for moving towards sustainable and environmental life styles. This will include changes to workplaces such as offices.

My team and I concluded to choosing a virtual reality office for our ideal future workplace and my part of the project is all about how this is sustainable. 

In my slides for the presentation, I address how serious climate change is and how we need to change our ways of living immediately. I refer to David Attenborough in one of my slides when we threatens extinction among the natural life and great harm to civilisation.  I also use a reference to an article called 'World Scientists' Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice' which is an article put together by almost 200 scientists from across the world notifying humanity that we are very close to irreversible damage. 

My main point in my section of the project is about how we can use a virtual reality headset for jobs which are office based and create a fake office while staying at home. A virtual reality office would not use as much rubbish, electricity, plastic waste, water waste, gas usage and so on. By people staying at home and using virtual reality, there would be a big cut in carbon pollution from cars which plays a huge part damaging environment.

Staying at home and using VR to go to work may not appeal to most people, but it may appeal to others. For those who do not like the idea could try 1 or 2 times a week and this will still have an effect. Anthropocene has caused a lot damage to our planet and it is suffering. We must get ourselves out of the mess we made. Small efforts as little as educating yourself and others can make a difference. 



 


References

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/08/what-is-the-anthropocene-and-why-does-it-matter/

David Attenborough- 'Continuation of Civilisation is in Your Hands' -https://youtu.be/b6Vh-g0oZ9w

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 3 Blog